Skip to main content

Shakespeare's Characterization of Shylock as a Comic Villain in “The Merchant of Venice”

Shylock, an amusing as well a confusing figure, is one of the main characters of Shakespeare’s outstanding play “The Merchant of Venice”.His activities are full of variegation making us very complex to understand him. At times, his ridiculous activities give us pleasure and make us laugh. Again sometimes his brutal actions fall us in fear and make us anxious. So we, very easily, mark him as the comic villain of the play. Let us discuss it in detail.
Actually, Shylock is a usurer and his business of usury is disturbed by Antonio lending money without interest. So Shylock considers him as the worst enemy and awaits an opportunity to take revenge on him. As he says:

“If I can catch him once upon the hip  
I will feed fat the ancient grudge I bear him.”[Act: I, Scene: III]

Shylock alsohates  Antoniofor his  religion. As he confesses:
“I hate him for he is a Christian”[Act: I, Scene: III] 
At that time, the most of the Christians think the usury as cruelty while the Jews consider it as one kind of business, as it was granted by law.As Shylock comments:
“…he rails
On me, my contracts, and my well-earned profit,
Which he calls, usury.”[Act: I, Scene: III]

Shylock is also a good representative of his race :
“Cursèd be my tribe
If I forgive him”[Act: I, Scene: III]

Shylock even refuses to participate eating with the Christian, as they eat pork:
“I will buy with you, sell with you, talk with you, walk with you, and so forth—but I willnot eat with you, drink with you, nor pray with you.”
[Act: I, Scene: III]

However, one day, Shylock gets an opportunity for his sake, when Antonio and Bassanio come to him to lend some money. He proposes a condition that if Antonio seals a bond, he will lend them money. According to the bond, if Antonio cannot repay the money conditionally, he would cut off and take a pound of his flesh from wherever he wants. He cleverly argues:
“A pound of man’s flesh, taken from a man,
Has neither worth nor can afford a profit  
As flesh of mutton, cow, or goat.   I say,
To buy his favour, I extend this friendship”
[Act: I, Scene: III]

Again we see when Shylock’s only daughter Jessica elopes with a Christian with a great amount of money, he laments like a mad:
“My daughter!  O my ducats!  O my daughter!Fled with a Christian!  O my Christian ducats![Act: II, Scene: VII]

Actually the elopement of his daughter with a Christian shocks him so much that he prefers to see her death. As he expects:
“I would my daughter were dead at my foot, and the jewels in her ear!  Would she were hearsed at my foot andthe ducats in her coffin!”[Act: III, Scene: I]

            We see Shylock’s another comic expression of cruelty when he hears the news of the loss of Antonio’s vessels. He cries out in pleasure:
“I thank God, I thank God.  Is it true?  Is it true?”
[Act: III, Scene: I]
We discover his most ridiculous activities in the trial scene especially when sharpening the knife and preparing a balance.

            Shylock seems to be a very cruel man to whom no request is granted. As he says:
“By my soul I swearThere is no power in the tongue of manTo alter me.  I stay here on my bond.”[Act: IV, Scene: I]

But, one thing is notable that Shylock is previously severely oppressed by the Christians, even Antonio calls him misbeliever, cut-throat dog; spites upon his dress, kikes him from the behind. As he mentions:
“He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million times.    He hath laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains,scorned my nation, thwarted my ventures, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies—andwhat’shis reason?  I am a Jew.[Act: III, Scene: I] 
So it is very natural to grow revengefulness in him to his enemy Antonio.
           
We, towards the end of the drama, see the Christian vindictiveness falls on him with a full fury when he says:
He is deprived of his own property, religion and his life becomes depended on the mercy of Duke.
           
We can terminate our discussion saying that, Shylock is a very mysterious person containing both the good and bad in him. The representation of his character in the play is like neither a hero nor a villain. So we can easily mark him as the comic villain who “stands halfway between a martyr and a criminal”.

This paper is prepared for you by Talim Enam, BA (Hons), MA in English.
If you have any query, suggestion or complain regarding the article, please feel free to contact me at +8801722335969. You can also follow me at www.fb.com/talimenam and www.fb.com/enamur and visit my blog http://talimenam.blogspot.com

Please pray for me, if you find the article beneficial to you, and never forget to add your valuable comments. 


            

Comments

  1. Thanx it helps me in project 😍🤩😚😋😋😋😋😋🤩😘😘😙😍😋😝🤑

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a nice content. Your post was really good. Some ideas can be made. About English literature. Further, you can access this site to learn more about Shakespeare's Characterization of Shylock

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Critical Analysis of Poem "No Second Troy" by William Butler Yeats

  " No Second Troy " by William Butler Yeats, a great Irish poet, is poem about the love relationship between the poet and Maud Gonne , devastatingly beautiful Irish woman. It is one of the great literary love stories of the 20th century. The poem hints that how an alluring dazzling beauty can cause a devastating massive distraction with the reference to Helen of Troy, from the Iliad and the Aeneid . Now we will critically look into the poem. Before discussing the poem, let us have a look at the background of the poem. Yeats, in fact, published the poem in 1916 in the collection “ Responsibilities and Other Poems” , after he had already proposed to Gonne; and been rejected on numerous occasions. Yeats was obsessed with her and pursued her for over a decade and dedicated many of his poems to her. In this poem, however, Yeats's attitude is somewhat harsh, as he compares Gonne with the infamously beautiful and notoriously mi

“My Last Duchess” as a Dramatic Monologue

 What is dramatic monologue? Evaluate Robert Browning's  “My Last Duchess” as a Dramatic Monologue “My Last Duchess” is a fantastic dramatic monologue comp osed by a great Victorian poet Robert Robert Browning . A dramatic monologue, traditionally, includes lyrical strain, abrupt beginning, single speaker, silent listener, psychological analysis and clues to suggest what the silent listener says or does . Now we will see how the poem contains all these elements of a dramatic monologue. The poem begins with the dramatic suddenness : “That’s my last Duchess painted on the wall, Looking as if she were alive.” The readers can understand that the event has begun earlier.  But the poem begins from the middle to make the start dramatic.  As the poem progress, it becomes clear that only a single person speaks . The speaker is the Duke of Ferrara talking about his dead duchess’ portrait painted by Fra Pandlof. At several points of the poem, it becomes evident that there

Bacon’s Prose Style as We Find in His Essays

Francis Bacon, (1561-1626) is the most influential and resourceful English writer of his time. He very expertly uses different types of literary devices like paradox, aphorism, climax in his essays. He usually uses the condensed sentences with deep hidden explanations. We also find a touch of reality and practicality in his writings. Now we are going to discuss his views. Bacon very skilfully exploits the literary device ‘paradox’ in the essay “ Of Truth” . Truth, according to Bacon, lacks the charm of variety which, falsehood has. Truth gives more pleasure only when a lie is added to it.  He believes that, falsehood is a source of temporary enjoyment as it gives the people a strange kind of pleasure. So the essayist paradoxically says: “ …a mixture of a lie doth ever add pleasure” We find another paradoxical maxim in the same essay .  To Bacon, a liar is brave towards god but cowardly towards men. A liar does not have courage to tell the truth to the people but he sho